Merging the Northwest and Montana Regions
At the May 2018 NWRCC Regional Assembly business session, it was voted to create a new region with the Montana Region. This new region will include congregations in Alaska, Washington, N. Idaho and Montana. The timeline as laid out in the proposal provides for a period of transition from June, 2018-Dec. 2019. The new region will be launched January, 2020. Rev. Denny Williams, retired regional minister from Arizona, has agreed to serve as the Project Coordinator for the transition and is helping to guide our processes. The expanded New Creation Team, consisting of 4 members from each region plus the Project Coordinator and Regional Minister(s) provides oversight in coordination with the moderators from both regions.
- Rick Lewis, FCC, Puyallup, WA
- John Keener, Joliet Christian, Joliet, MT
- Mary Larsen, FCC, Helena, MT
- Tamalyn Kralman, FCC, Bellingham, WA
- Monica Bomgaars, FCC, Helena, MT
- Bill Jennison, North Hill Christian, Spokane, WA
- Doug Garner, Central Christian, Billings, MT
- Liv Gibbons, Northwest United Protestant, Richland, WA
UPDATES: December 2018
It’s official: after votes of approval by both the Northwest and Montana regional boards, the name of our new region will be “The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the Northern Lights Region. Work continues to make this vision a reality. Logo options are being considered by the Visioning Team.
- Both regions have now approved the resolution that will go to the General Assembly seeking approval and affirmation for our new region. You can read the resolution HERE.
- Our teams are continuing to meet regarding structure and bylaws, staffing and resources, vision and mission, and connections.
- Other teams continue to work on reconciling Commission on Ministry documents and a new team made up of the 4 officers from each region plus the Regional Minister, is meeting to determine the financial resources for the new region looking ahead to Jan. 1, 2020.
- The Youth Summit, scheduled to take place in November, was postponed due to weather and will be re-scheduled for the spring.
- Both regions are planning regional gatherings for 2019 to celebrate the unique gifts of our current regions and anticipating our combined gifts for the future. Montana will meet at FCC, Helena, May 3-5 and the NW region will meet in the fall of 2019, location and date TBA.
Upcoming Timeline Milestones:
- November – Both regional boards vote to affirm a General Assembly Resolution calling for the creation of a new region. This Resolution will be forwarded to the General Board of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in time to be considered at the February 2019 Board meeting, and then voted on at the July 2019 General Assembly in Des Moines, Iowa. The resolution will include the name for the new region (hence the November deadline for choosing a new name)
- Early 2019 – Youth Summit to bring representatives from both regions together to plan for a shared youth and outdoor ministry program
Creating a New Region: The Movie is available for download here to share in worship or in congregational meetings. This is an updated version of the video shown at the Regional Assembly this past spring and lays out some of the pieces in the timeline before us.
Download the video here!
Your browser doesn't support HTML5 video. Here is a link to the video instead.